PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Keeneland

AeWingnut
03-20-2007, 03:45 PM
I've neer been to Keeneland but plan to go soon (Sumwonlovesyou)

A friend is going. He's in his late 20's

any do's and don'ts at Keeneland as far as at the track?

I forgot to ask how long he plans on staying

blackthroatedwind
03-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Honestly, and I love Keeneland and Lexington, try NOT to go on Bluegrass Day. It is the most impossibly crowded day imaginable. The place is just too small for all those people.

But, definitely go, it's great.

And, oh yeah, avoid the burgoo.

southerndutch
03-20-2007, 04:10 PM
When you pull in to the track and you're facing the track, park in the last row all the way to your left. Back up to the fence bordering the grassy area and get there a couple of hours before the first. Great tailgating area with great tailgaters. Met some real characters there.

docicu3
03-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Andy

I am still somewhat baffled by Formulator4 having the value you tout (maybe a little strong use of the word as I know there is no reimbursement for you)....but I picked up "Formulator for Dummies" or "trainer angles"...have you read it and what do you think of it??

Where would you fly into, to have the best travel to KEE.

And if I might ask where would you stay if you wanted to enjoy the stay......not the cheepest place but not the Taj of Kentucky either???

Coach Pants
03-20-2007, 04:17 PM
I usually go at least once every meet but didn't make it last fall. I recommend going on a weekday and getting there when the gate opens. You MUST walk the grounds and take it all in. It's like being next to God...If god was a gambling degenerate.

saucon17
03-20-2007, 04:22 PM
You MUST walk the grounds and take it all in. It's like being next to God...If god was a gambling degenerate.

Well put, I miss the days with no track announcer

Pedigree Ann
03-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Keeneland was originally built as a training track on the Keene farm, so it faces west; no sun in eyes of observers on the clubhouse lawn during morning works. Well, when it was turned into a racetrack, the stands were put on the same side as the clubhouse, so in late afternoon, you are trying to watch races looking into the sun; it beats onto the apron and parts of the stands, too. Bring shades and a hat if you don't like squinting hard.

Keeneland originally had a capacity of about 14-15K max and although improvements have increased space, it still gets very crowded on weekends, when it can attract 20K+. The crowd tends to be a bit younger than average, since a lot of UK students cut classes to come out whenever the weather is anywhere near decent. Coed watching a frequent male pursuit.

Keeneland must be about the only track left that has an open barn area - no sign in or security gates. Because the area has to be open for sales, I suppose. Go early and wander around some. Look for stable logos and who knows? you may see some stars. (There are plently of grooms and such around, so ask if you want know if that is 'somebody'; but don't annoy anybody obviously busy.)

If your arteries can take it, come real early and eat breakfast in the track kitchen; you never know who will be at the next table. "I had breakfast with Nick Zito, you know." Civilians welcome.

paisjpq
03-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Honestly, and I love Keeneland and Lexington, try NOT to go on Bluegrass Day. It is the most impossibly crowded day imaginable. The place is just too small for all those people.

But, definitely go, it's great.

I second this...
but it sure does smell good esp. on rainy spring mornings when the wind is blowing and the only people at the track are a bunch of old men...and me:o

Coach Pants
03-20-2007, 04:31 PM
The good thing about the burgoo is you can share it with your friends and they don't even have to take a bite of it.

saucon17
03-20-2007, 04:35 PM
If your arteries can take it, come real early and eat breakfast in the track kitchen; you never know who will be at the next table. "I had breakfast with Nick Zito, you know." Civilians welcome.

I second that, ate there many times working the Keeneland Sales, you might never who will join you at your table. For the most part they all are very friendly.

blackthroatedwind
03-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Andy

I am still somewhat baffled by Formulator4 having the value you tout (maybe a little strong use of the word as I know there is no reimbursement for you)....but I picked up "Formulator for Dummies" or "trainer angles"...have you read it and what do you think of it??

Where would you fly into, to have the best travel to KEE.

And if I might ask where would you stay if you wanted to enjoy the stay......not the cheepest place but not the Taj of Kentucky either???

I will ignore the Formulator question for now if you don't mind.

As for Keeneland, I usually fly into Cinncinnati as I have few available direct flights to Lexington, and as I hate flying, prefer not to switch planes.

As for staying there, the Hyatt or Radisson downtown is fine. Book in advance.

Bystander
03-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Jacket and tie are absolutely required in the Clubhouse, and NO denim whatsoever. That's something I really wish I had known before my first Keeneland visit...

Kasept
03-20-2007, 04:41 PM
No burgoo @ KEE.. Check.

No cobbler @ SAR.. Check.

Anything else?

blackthroatedwind
03-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Jacket and tie are absolutely required in the Clubhouse, and NO denim whatsoever. That's something I really wish I had known before my first Keeneland visit...

You and the rest of Lexington.

blackthroatedwind
03-20-2007, 04:42 PM
No burgoo @ KEE.. Check.

No cobbler @ SAR.. Check.

Anything else?

No Gary Sciacca horses on any of my tickets.

You happy now?

paisjpq
03-20-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm safe...no one wants me in the clubhouse:p

blackthroatedwind
03-20-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm safe...no one wants me in the clubhouse:p

That gives the two of you something in common.

Coach Pants
03-20-2007, 04:47 PM
I wear a tux so I standout from the rest of the $10,000 millionaires.

paisjpq
03-20-2007, 04:47 PM
That gives the two of you something in common.
I KNEW IT!

Bystander
03-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Trust me, the Kentucky gentry weren't too pleased with me being there, but one of my best friends is from Lexington and can get me in- and that year I went Bluegrass weekend, and it was a godssend. My two friends were unprepared for the clothing issue, though, and had to buy ties and "rent" kelly green sports coats... and one of them, who is Greek, turned at one point to say "I am the closest thing to a person of color in this entire place."

But that's a whole other conversation.

Coach Pants
03-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Trust me, the Kentucky gentry weren't too pleased with me being there, but one of my best friends is from Lexington and can get me in- and that year I went Bluegrass weekend, and it was a godssend. My two friends were unprepared for the clothing issue, though, and had to buy ties and "rent" kelly green sports coats... and one of them, who is Greek, turned at one point to say "I am the closest thing to a person of color in this entire place."

I assure you the only color the folks at Keeneland care about is green.

Kasept
03-20-2007, 04:52 PM
No Gary Sciacca horses on any of my tickets. You happy now?
That's it.. You've had your LAST Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich..

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/kasept/smoked_meat_teaser.jpg

paisjpq
03-20-2007, 04:52 PM

He must not have seen KYRIM in her purple Burka w/ the Sheikhs like PP did.

that is however, the one drawback to KEE...they take themselves VERY seriously.

Pedigree Ann
03-20-2007, 04:53 PM
I second this...
but it sure does smell good esp. on rainy spring mornings when the wind is blowing and the only people at the track are a bunch of old men...and me:o

And when it is cold and rainy and the wind is blowing, it is always 10 degrees colder at Keeneland than it is in town. Dress accordingly.

But when the sun shines and the pink and white dogwoods are in bloom....,

Bystander
I assure you the only color the folks at Keeneland care about is green.

It's the only color they see, there's a difference.

paisjpq

no offense steve but that looks about as appealing as what Paisley puked up yesterday

blackthroatedwind
03-20-2007, 04:54 PM
no offense steve but that looks about as appealing as what Paisley puked up yesterday

Quick....save it for the Carolina Bar-B-Q.

paisjpq
03-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Quick....save it for the Carolina Bar-B-Q.
too late ...my dad's dog "recycled" it.

Riot
03-20-2007, 04:56 PM
And eat the bread pudding, too <g>

Lexington is a smallish town, so travel times are not really that significant (on weekends traffic backs up trying to get into the track on Versailles Rd).

Fly into Bluegrass Airport, it's physically small, easy to get in and out of, right across the street from the track.

Second choice is to fly into Northern Ky Airport (Cincinnati, but on the south, KY side of the Ohio) - you can come down I-75, it will take you an easy hour to get to Lex. Louisville is third choice, little farther, an hour plus from Lex.

Look at a map or mapquest, notice New Circle Road encircling the city - I'd first try to get a room at one of the hotels at Exit 115 - I-75 and 922-Newtown Pike (try LaQuinta first it's nice, then Holiday Inn, etc., Embassy and Marriot Resort are there but more expensive, but the Marriot is worth $159 night, it's a beautiful five-star w/golf course, and alot of the horse folks stay there, fried green tomatos are great - just do it <G>) - close to the Horse Park, the horse farms.

Then go to the southwest and south side of the city - stay on New Circle before you go to off Man O' War Blvd. for travel time ease. Just avoid the east and far southeast side if you can, travel times will be a bit long and it's just suburbia hell down there. Day's Inns, Red Roofs, etc.

Try to get a room anywhere west of Tates Creek Road on the south side for travel time ease. Downtown, or just south of downtown, is fine too. The independent hotels (Springs, etc) are clean and good in that area.

You can also get reasonably priced rooms during Kee at the 8-10 hotels at I-75 and Rt 62 in Georgetown, very quick to zip (10 minutes?) down I-75 to Newtown Pike, and then straight into the track via New Circle and Versailles Rd. (Best Western, Ivy, Microtel, etc)

Pedigree Ann
03-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Trust me, the Kentucky gentry weren't too pleased with me being there, but one of my best friends is from Lexington and can get me in-

The clubhouse is a real club - you have to be a member or guest of a member to get in. Us hoi polloi can only get reserved seats or haunt the apron. BUT, the clubhouse is 'way up the stretch and grandstand seats are at the finish line, unlike any other track I know of.

Riot
03-20-2007, 05:05 PM
so in late afternoon, you are trying to watch races looking into the sun; it beats onto the apron and parts of the stands, too. Bring shades and a hat if you don't like squinting hard..

But if you have a box, Kee provides appropriate white sun parasols for use .... :)

blackthroatedwind
03-20-2007, 05:10 PM
The clubhouse is a real club - you have to be a member or guest of a member to get in. Us hoi polloi can only get reserved seats or haunt the apron. BUT, the clubhouse is 'way up the stretch and grandstand seats are at the finish line, unlike any other track I know of.

That's not entirely true. The clubhourse restaurants encompass the entire top floor. There is a great room to have lunch in that is pretty much right above the finish line.

Cajungator26
03-20-2007, 05:37 PM

Oh yeah... my appetite is really kicking now. :eek:

hoovesupsideyourhead
03-20-2007, 05:54 PM

damn thats cold....

Antitrust32
03-20-2007, 05:54 PM

omg beth.. that almost made me lose my lunch

randallscott35
03-20-2007, 05:57 PM
My puppy has been trying to eat deer pellets lately. Then I chased her and she ran into the bird feeder and re-injured her leg. Now I feel bad about it.

Danzig
03-20-2007, 06:03 PM
omg beth.. that almost made me lose my lunch

shame...dads dog woulda thanked you for the seconds.

Antitrust32
03-20-2007, 06:04 PM

oh dear lord someone save me from this madness!

paisjpq
03-20-2007, 06:09 PM
he would have...but he might have knocked you over trying to get to the pile first...no worries though because when he was finished he would totally give you a kiss on your face to say he was sorry:eek:

SniperSB23
03-20-2007, 06:14 PM
I actually didn't like Keeneland at all. The sun shining in your eyes the entire time was so incredibly obnoxious that it could have ruined the whole experience by itself. In addition to that it was way too crowded and the majority of the people there seemed way more interested in being seen and looking important than in actually being there to view the races. They also let any yahoo wander into the paddock that wanted to (mostly the people wanting to be seen) so you wound up with about 200 people in the paddock for every horse. So if you are outside of the paddock you can't possibly see anything which kind of defeats the purpose of the paddock in the first place. Placing bets was also a pain in the butt. There were several other things I didn't like about it but those are the ones that immediately jump to mind.

Bigsmc
03-20-2007, 06:30 PM
I actually didn't like Keeneland at all. The sun shining in your eyes the entire time was so incredibly obnoxious that it could have ruined the whole experience by itself. In addition to that it was way too crowded and the majority of the people there seemed way more interested in being seen and looking important than in actually being there to view the races. They also let any yahoo wander into the paddock that wanted to (mostly the people wanting to be seen) so you wound up with about 200 people in the paddock for every horse. So if you are outside of the paddock you can't possibly see anything which kind of defeats the purpose of the paddock in the first place. Placing bets was also a pain in the butt. There were several other things I didn't like about it but those are the ones that immediately jump to mind.

You basically summed up my Keeneland experience.

Give me Saratoga anytime over Keeneland.

AeWingnut
03-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks all for the sincere responses. I'm pretty certain he is driving to Keeneland. (I will be driving when I go.) He's going April 7th. I assume that's a Saturday. I'll try to go during the week or when Sumwonlovesyou is running. He's never been to any track before and all of this is new to him. God help him, I'm going to try and tell him what to look for in a horse without readig the PPs. His first time I don't want to turn it into homework. He likes the event. The party. While I am content to yell at a TV but will go to Kentucky horse park and Keeneland this year.

Thanks again you're a big help

Cajungator26
03-20-2007, 07:22 PM
AEW, a lot of questions about Keeneland have been covered downstairs in the Get-Together thread. You may want to read that those posts as well.

It can be stuffy, but ignore them all. See-and be-seen is all they have going for them and that's surely not your concern. Who cares?

You can enjoy your time by the saddling ring, while the swells and the hangers-on flood the paddock, but still the horses are your interest. And that rail is the place to see everything you want regarding horseflesh. Then, make your wager and head out front to the apron on your bench, on the rail, or in reserved seats in the grandstand. It doesn't matter.

You'll have a great time.

Amen. Best piece of advice I've seen on this thread.

I've never been to Keeneland, but hope that everyone has a great time!

Bystander
03-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Although I agree somewhat with the negative comments, esp the crowding and the windows, Keeneland is great beyond the track because of the whole Lexington experience- and when you pick the right day, as in when there isn't a big college/high school crowd, it's a lovely place to see live racing. The surrounding area with incredible stud farms, Old Friends, great towns like Midway, the KY Horse Park, all makes a trip worthwhile.

Riot
03-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Lexington Herald-Leader, Thursday, April 12, 2007 .... Lexington Police and Keeneland Security are investigating a series of incidents which occured at historic Keeneland Race Course yesterday.

"We don't know if any of these events are related", said Rogers Beasley, Keeneland Director of Racing, " and fortunately our guests never experienced any interruption to their enjoyable day at the track. But we're interested in finding any connections."

Reports of odd occurrences began to filter in to Keeneland Security starting around 9:00am. Chuck Simon, a local horse trainer, was reportedly stalked from the training track back to the barn area by a group of people, estimated to be from 20-40 in number, chanting, "Some one loves you, some one loves you". Simon could not be reached for comment.

Backstretch workers reported later finding peppermint wrappers and bits of organic carrots strewn about paths near the barns. An unnamed groom in Barn 16 swears he saw this group himself. "They warn't makin' no trouble, warn't botherin' the horses none. They was just wanderin' around, happy, silly and grinnin like fools' ", lending credence to speculation that animal pacifist organizations are attempting to infiltrate Keeneland's backstretch area.

Keeneland Security investigated several reports that the smell of grilling bar-b-que, combined with thickening hickory smoke, was wafting from one of the end stone saddling stalls within the Keeneland paddock about two hours prior to start of the first race. All the saddling stalls were found empty, save for some used navy blue and lime green swizzle sticks spilling out into the grass paddock area. "We don't believe there was ever any real threat of fire", Keeneland Security reported.

There were several unconfirmed reports that local news anchors, broadcasting live prior to the first race from the paddock, repeatedly had to quell groups of spectators interrupting TV transmissions. "Every time I would start to say, 'This is Mark Brown, for WLEX-TV, live from Keeneland', these bozos would shout over my signout, "Props to DeeTeeeee, man! DeeTeeee rules! ". When Keeneland Security arrived, instigators had apparently escaped into the crowd. "They were reportedly wearing denim, so should have been easy to spot, but we couldn't find anybody".

The Kentucky Racing Authority also reported that they are investigating a possible wagering irregularity which occured immediately prior to the ninth race on Wednesday's card, where unusually large numbers of individual $2 win wagers were placed on a 20-1 entrant.

paisjpq
03-20-2007, 08:49 PM
:cool: great...very cute :D

AeWingnut
03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Howl... Great job. Thanks for the laugh

ddthetide
03-20-2007, 09:35 PM
we've been for opening day in the fall. it was a blast ! horse racing friday afternoon and Alabama crushing the cats in football on saturday. GREAT weekend !
opening weekend in the fall UK usually plays a Big football game at night so everyone can go to the races all afternoon.
kentucky horse park was VERY cool also.

Grits
03-20-2007, 09:45 PM
UK, ALWAYS sucks at football. They really, really do.

jman5581
03-20-2007, 10:38 PM

The curse of being TRUE BLUE. But we won a damn bowl this year!!!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

Grits
03-20-2007, 10:46 PM
The curse of being TRUE BLUE. But we won a damn bowl this year!!!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

Did ya now? I'm happy for ya!!!

Y'all stayed in post season basketball play around 3 nights longer than "DOOK" did this year, so I know that one made ya smile!!

During the fall meet, when Keeneland is running and UK is playing at home, Lex is not only aggravating to drive around, but don't plan on dining without a reservation.

You won't eat until midnight....which, now and then, is fine, when with friends.

jman5581
03-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Did ya now? I'm happy for ya!!!

Y'all stayed in post season basketball play around 3 nights longer than "DOOK" did this year, so I know that one made ya smile!!

Curse the Laetner-ites!!! :p

citycat
03-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Don't let any negative threads here discourage you from going to Keeneland. If you get the opportunity to go please do. It is a wonderful experience. Probably the most beautiful setting to watch horse racing.

Yes on some days there is some traffic (but we are not talking about Atlanta, Chicago, NYC, etc) and yes it can get crowded on some days.

My advice is to go and relax and enjoy the beautiful track setting and some of the most talented horses in the world. Walk around the grounds and enjoy some local painters or a small bluegrass quartet or slip into the sales pavilion to see where the big money is really spent. Stop in the gift shop and get you a nice hat or jacket. The new video screen and tote board are amazing.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Rootdog1
03-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Agreed, anyone on here that says Keeneland is not a great experience either hasnt been or just likes to complain. I spend time inside, outside, upstairs, and downstairs..........unless you dont like beautiful women and good racing, it is always a great day. True, it draws more of a social crowd then most, but I dont see the harm.

phystech
03-21-2007, 08:31 AM
I agree with Citycat - Keeneland is what you make it.

I go to Laurel frequently and dread the sight of a rundown facitlity that is lifeless. Then I get to see a bunch of crappy maidens, or beat up open claimers, ad naseum.

But when I go to Keeneland, I get to see decent horses and people enjoying the experience. I'm not into the snobby bluebloods either, and the well-to-do obnoxious kiddies can be a pain, but if you spill a little beer on them - oops - it's all good.

I wouldn't go on a weekend simply because I don't like big crowds, but that's just me. Last year I phoned ahead of time and was able to procure an owner's box the last Thursday of the meet. It was under cover out of the sun and comfortable, and the bar was close by so it was a fun day. I plan on being there April 26 and then I'll make Churchill on Opening Day for the Trial. And both of those places beat the hell out of going to Laurel, anyday.....

Sightseek
03-21-2007, 08:50 AM
I agree with Citycat - Keeneland is what you make it.

I go to Laurel frequently and dread the sight of a rundown facitlity that is lifeless. Then I get to see a bunch of crappy maidens, or beat up open claimers, ad naseum.

But when I go to Keeneland, I get to see decent horses and people enjoying the experience. I'm not into the snobby bluebloods either, and the well-to-do obnoxious kiddies can be a pain, but if you spill a little beer on them - oops - it's all good.

I wouldn't go on a weekend simply because I don't like big crowds, but that's just me. Last year I phoned ahead of time and was able to procure an owner's box the last Thursday of the meet. It was under cover out of the sun and comfortable, and the bar was close by so it was a fun day. I plan on being there April 26 and then I'll make Churchill on Opening Day for the Trial. And both of those places beat the hell out of going to Laurel, anyday.....

I think this is key to whether or not someone would enjoy attending Keeneland during live racing. No question the track is smaller, which is why I prefer a more expansive track like Saratoga, Belmont and Churchill. Keeneland at it's best in my opinion is early morning during the sales...so beautiful and peaceful. I also greatly enjoyed going there in a summer afternoon to watch the simulcast in their outdoor tv's on the ground level. My heart belongs to Saratoga though. :)

KY_Sasquash
03-21-2007, 08:51 AM

Whoa back, Poppa Brooks is slowly turning it around. Always is such a strong word. Might not ever get to BCS status but top 25 isnt out of the question. Will you feel that way when we beat Louisville next year?

Grits
03-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Whoa back, Poppa Brooks is slowly turning it around. Always is such a strong word. Might not ever get to BCS status but top 25 isnt out of the question. Will you feel that way when we beat Louisville next year?

Anytime you beat Lousiville in anything, trust me, I'm pleased for you. It's that Patino thing, you know. Doesn't matter, football, bastketball, baseball, soccer, who cares.

blackthroatedwind
03-21-2007, 09:05 AM
If you're a racing fan then you simply owe it to yourself to go to Lexington. Yeah, Keeneland is small, yeah it gets crowded, but in today's world of dwindling attendance Keeneland is one of the few tracks left where people are excited to be at the races. For us, the confused who love something that everyone else seems to have forgotten, this is a place where we belong. Anybody that spends a lot of their time at the NY tracks knows the sad feeling on closing day at Saratoga, the last day for 10 1/2 months when we aren't outcasts, understands exactly what I mean.

Rootdog1
03-21-2007, 09:14 AM
very well said.

Rootdog1
03-21-2007, 09:42 AM
not sure of the 20 miles comment, which areas are you speaking of? That certainly is not the common place in the area.

southerndutch
03-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Interestingly, last year, Maker's Mark Mile Day was worse than Bluegrass Day. Bluegrass Day was not bad at all.

paisjpq
03-21-2007, 10:00 AM
i'll be there for the lexington if anyone wants to play.

Rootdog1
03-21-2007, 10:02 AM
I know central Kentucky well, major highways, AND back roads, as well. I've lived there, and I've had a vacation home there for some time.

I live here, and while you could find parts that fit that description it is FAR from the norm. Eastern Ky is what you are talking about.

Coach Pants
03-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Yeah the surrounding area of lexington makes New Orleans look like paradise.

Omg I have no earthly idea what i'm talking about. I've got a drinkin' problem!! Teddy get me another bloody mary!!

Payson Dave
03-21-2007, 10:22 AM
... For us, the confused who love something that everyone else seems to have forgotten, this is a place where we belong. Anybody that spends a lot of their time at the NY tracks knows the sad feeling on closing day at Saratoga, the last day for 10 1/2 months when we aren't outcasts, understands exactly what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean....
the old horseplayer says to St Peter after being shown around the grounds up in heaven..."yep it's pretty nice but it ain't Saratoga"

Rootdog1
03-21-2007, 10:23 AM
good, I am glad you are moving off of it cause you were off base. While I agree with your comment, I disagree with the location. That is correct for KY but far from the truth in Lexington/Fayette.

estreetposse
03-21-2007, 10:24 AM
I'll note something that enters into, and plays, a large part in why Keeneland conducts such a successful race meet twice a year, and this is certainly not meant to the affront of Kentuckians.

Keeneland does not have to vie for fans as does New York racing, or SoCal racing.

NYers and residents of SoCal have so many sports, thousands of fans of each sport wherein--once again, a matter of horseracing competing for the fan base, for those new to the sport, and for those that have followed for years who remain involved.

Lexington is tiny comparatively. And Kentucky as a whole does not have the sports franchises of larger metropolitan areas.

This, along with the fact that central Kentucky is still known as the hub of this sport, it stands to reason--those at Keenelad will find an ultimate horseracing venue and experience.

Its a lovely and fun place to be.

One can see a countryside that will take your breathe away, and one can also ride 20 miles out of Lexington in either direction and see the poorest of the poor living in shacks with washing machines on the front porch. That grass may well be blue, but its certainly not always greener. Many of those folks have never set foot on Keeneland property.

It's probably like that for most tracks...ever drive 20 miles from the SPA...Some places ain't so pretty either!!!:(

Coach Pants
03-21-2007, 10:30 AM
This was not meant as an offense. It is apparent though, and it is relative because not the majority of the citizens of this region are blueblood, far, far, from it.

Pick your road, east, south.....even north. My point being sir, that there's not anywhere in the Midwest that one can find a greater disparity of economic level-- dba/extreme wealth vs. adject poverty than in the state of Kentucky, particularly Central Kentucky. And this includes Fayette, Bourbon, Clark, and Scott counties, though not as much so in Woodford.

Now, as I said, I don't mean to irritate anyone, but one more readily notices that which is grand than they do, that which may be a blight on one's landscape.

This is life, real life.

Done on this one.

These are real numbers, not made up stuff that you're spouting just to delude everyone into thinking you're right...

State of Kentucky...Its per-capita personal income was US$28,513, 43rd in the nation

Bourbon County... Males had a median income of $30,989 versus $23,467 for females.

Fayette County...Males had a median income of $36,166 versus $26,964 for females

Clark County... Males had a median income of $35,774 versus $24,298 for females

Scott County... Males had a median income of $40,604 versus $25,767 for females

With your mentality the rest of the state must be like living in Darfur!! Oh the humanity!!

Rootdog1
03-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Scott County is inflated due to the Toyota plant

Cajungator26
03-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Damn,

All we need now is good ole Coach on here talking about the white trash of Ocala and lack of good horses bred in Florida. LMAO

I've only been to Lexington a couple of times (and never to Keeneland), but from what I remember, there was also a lot of poverty in the surrounding areas.

Coach Pants
03-21-2007, 10:59 AM
In an effort to not cast light that would offend further I'm going to remove posts that I've added in this page of the thread.

Root, I really did not mean to upset you, not at all. This is simply something I have seen.

And Pillow Pants, I've been pleasant to you, I've done nothing to you. You are small, so get off my @$$, as I'm getting real bored with your "I can't stand you!" Keep it to yourself, ignore me, and I'll do the same.

In short, leave me the @#$% alone.
The troll has been revealed.

Done with this. <---lol

Payson Dave
03-21-2007, 11:01 AM
[/B]

It's probably like that for most tracks...ever drive 20 miles from the SPA...Some places ain't so pretty either!!!:(

Where???? (I'll give ya Troy & Schenectady but where else??)

estreetposse
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM

How about the outlying hills of Fulton, Montgomery, Warren, etc. counties?
There is a trailer outside of Johnstown that use to hide behind an old rusty schoolbus and some other scrap metal(cars, lawnmowers, wash machines, etc.) piled in front of it and a roof covered by a tarp. This isn't a junkyard, it is a home!!

Kasept
03-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Troy is a pretty cool little city IMO.. On the upswing too with the Tech Valley stuff going on. Have looked at buying a townhouse kind of building cheap downtown several times the last couple of years and rehabbing it.

Rootdog1
03-21-2007, 11:17 AM
In an effort to not cast light that would offend further I'm going to remove posts that I've added in this page of the thread.

Root, I really did not mean to upset you, not at all. This is simply something I have seen.

And Pillow Pants, I've been pleasant to you, I've done nothing to you. You are small, so get off my @$$, as I'm getting real bored with your "I can't stand you!" Keep it to yourself, ignore me, and I'll do the same.

In short, leave me the @#$% alone.

No hard feelings here, I just didnt agree with your comment. I dont think we were rude. You made a general comment that I didnt agree with, as I live here I felt strongly enough to call you on it. Without a doubt there are areas of poverty, as with every city but Fayette is rather wealthy in general. Although, the class gaps are very large in all of KY - I agree with that.

The topic was Keeneland, and the area in general. It is very nice. Thats all I have to say.

Payson Dave
03-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Steve, I agree...Troy is improving....
And now that i think about it I also have to agree with estreetposse that parts of Fulton County have some poverty issues...

estreetposse
03-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Troy is a pretty cool little city IMO.. On the upswing too with the Tech Valley stuff going on. Have looked at buying a townhouse kind of building cheap downtown several times the last couple of years and rehabbing it.

Then you can rent it out to a nice, friendly group of Sage Girls!!!:D

estreetposse
03-21-2007, 11:24 AM
And now that i think about it I also have to agree with estreetposse that parts of Fulton County have some poverty issues...

Lower Adirondacks & Mohawk Valley:
It is sad, a beautiful area with such great links to history of our country and it just seems to be getting worse, AND THE WINTERS SUCK TOO!!!

Sorry to take away from your K-Land thread. No mas para mi.

Hickory Hill Hoff
03-21-2007, 11:32 AM

Poverty in the Mohawk Valley??? :rolleyes:

As Jack Nickelson "The Joker" in Batman said; "This town (area) need a ennma!"

Sightseek
03-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Get it while it's still cheap.....

One other thing, on the towns outside of Saratoga, they are making huge efforts to improve them due to the fact that many people are looking to buy outside of Saratoga due to taxes. I lived in RI for many years, which has very expensive property values. The prices on real estate in upstate NY are
amazing to me.

Sightseek
03-21-2007, 12:00 PM
These are real numbers, not made up stuff that you're spouting just to delude everyone into thinking you're right...

State of Kentucky...Its per-capita personal income was US$28,513, 43rd in the nation

Bourbon County... Males had a median income of $30,989 versus $23,467 for females.

Fayette County...Males had a median income of $36,166 versus $26,964 for females

Clark County... Males had a median income of $35,774 versus $24,298 for females

Scott County... Males had a median income of $40,604 versus $25,767 for females

With your mentality the rest of the state must be like living in Darfur!! Oh the humanity!!

The income difference between males & females is ridiculous.

estreetposse
03-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Get it while it's still cheap.....

One other thing, on the towns outside of Saratoga, they are making huge efforts to improve them due to the fact that many people are looking to buy outside of Saratoga due to taxes. I lived in RI for many years, which has very expensive property values. The prices on real estate in upstate NY are
amazing to me.

:mad:
Then the taxes should really amaze you!!!

Sightseek
03-21-2007, 12:19 PM
:mad:
Then the taxes should really amaze you!!!

You're taxes are less here than there too.

estreetposse
03-21-2007, 12:27 PM
You're taxes are less here than there too.

Sorry, don't know about RI, I do know that in Mass. a house assessed more than $400k more than mine pays less in taxes than I do. Find the right area up here, you will be fine, Stray too far & pay out your A**.

Sorry no more on this K-land thread.

Payson Dave
03-21-2007, 12:43 PM
The income difference between males & females is ridiculous.

Not looking for a fight here ....
Don't know how those numbers are calculated but...if stay at home moms with no income are included in the female median income calculations then that might skew the numbers and might partly explain the differences....it might be old fashion but there are still some couples where the husband works and the wife willingly stays home with the kids.

SniperSB23
03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Not looking for a fight here ....
Don't know how those numbers are calculated but...if stay at home moms with no income are included in the female median income calculations then that might skew the numbers and might partly explain the differences....it might be old fashion but there are still some couples where the husband works and the wife willingly stays home with the kids.

I don't know if those are included in the numbers above but you can clearly see the wage discrepancy here where it doesn't factor is stay at home Moms or Dads:

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat39.pdf

Even male sewing machine operators make more than females!

Payson Dave
03-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't know if those are included in the numbers above but you can clearly see the wage discrepancy here where it doesn't factor is stay at home Moms or Dads:

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat39.pdf

Even male sewing machine operators make more than females!

I'm sure that there is some injustice in pay...that said however, is it as black and white as some might assume?? maybe, then again maybe not.... do the numbers include OT earnings also?? do the numbers include part-time employee earnings also??
maybe, then again maybe not.

SniperSB23
03-21-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm sure that there is some injustice in pay...that said however, is it as black and white as some might assume?? maybe, then again maybe not.... do the numbers include OT earnings also?? do the numbers include part-time employee earnings also??
maybe, then again maybe not.

I'm sure they include OT earnings. So are you suggesting that men are more likely to work overtime than women across every occupation out there and that is accounting for the discrepancy? The fact is if a man and a woman have the same job the man will get paid on average 24% more nationwide. Those are BLS numbers, not statistics manipulated by some special interest group.

Payson Dave
03-21-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm sure they include OT earnings. So are you suggesting that men are more likely to work overtime than women across every occupation out there and that is accounting for the discrepancy? The fact is if a man and a woman have the same job the man will get paid on average 24% more nationwide. Those are BLS numbers, not statistics manipulated by some special interest group.

As I said before... I'm sure that there is some injustice...I'm just not sure that it is as black and white as the BLS numbers seem to suggest...maybe it is but maybe the numbers are don't tell the whole story...Once again I'm not saying that there is not some injustice....not lookng for a fight... just call me a bit skeptical of how data can be interpreted.:cool:

Coach Pants
03-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Just remember to make a trip to Keeneland. The poor people of Kentucky need your money!!

Rootdog1
03-21-2007, 01:38 PM
you make me laugh Pillow

Cannon Shell
03-21-2007, 01:39 PM
I find it hard to believe that the area around Keeneland is being talked about in negative terms. The big A, Hollywood, Hawthorne, Pimlico, Fair Grounds, etc, maybe.

Rootdog1
03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
I find it hard to believe that the area around Keeneland is being talked about in negative terms. The big A, Hollywood, Hawthorne, Pimlico, Fair Grounds, etc, maybe.

My point exactly.

NoCarolinaTony
03-22-2007, 12:17 PM
If you're a racing fan then you simply owe it to yourself to go to Lexington. Yeah, Keeneland is small, yeah it gets crowded, but in today's world of dwindling attendance Keeneland is one of the few tracks left where people are excited to be at the races. For us, the confused who love something that everyone else seems to have forgotten, this is a place where we belong. Anybody that spends a lot of their time at the NY tracks knows the sad feeling on closing day at Saratoga, the last day for 10 1/2 months when we aren't outcasts, understands exactly what I mean.

Andy you put into words what i have been trying to say for some time now. Great Post!!

NC Tony

brianwspencer
03-22-2007, 12:22 PM

The area around Hawthorne is pretty special.

jman5581
03-22-2007, 12:39 PM

I find it to be a pretty nice place compared to where a lot of racetracks are located...

Grits
03-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Keeneland is one of the few aesthetically pleasing racecourses in America. It's a no-brainer to visit it.

And as someone who frequents NY tracks like Andy, I get the same feeling when Saratoga closes. That is balanced for me by opening day of Belmont's spring meet. After six months of Aqueduct's dreariness, it is so refreshing to return to Belmont.

Belmont Park is one of THE most grand, most beautiful racecourses in the country. When one sits up high and looks outward at its vastness, then turns to the paddock with its trees and ivy covered brick to welcome you, there's no prettier place anywhere.

Coach Pants
03-22-2007, 12:50 PM
I find it to be a pretty nice place compared to where a lot of racetracks are located...
Have you seem some of the conditions horses live in around keeneland? You can obviously tell that these horses are living in poverty. Some of them not only have to suffer grazing on cheap kentucky bluegrass, they also suffer with soreness!!

paisjpq
03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Have you seem some of the conditions horses live in around keeneland? You can obviously tell that these horses are living in poverty. Some of them not only have to suffer grazing on cheap kentucky bluegrass, they also suffer with soreness!!
how would you know that, did you feel their legs?

Coach Pants
03-22-2007, 12:59 PM
how would you know that, did you feel their legs?No. I was driving north on Versailles Road and I was looking at those rundown farms and noticed quite a few that were suffering with soreness. I told my friend, who I was talking to on the cell at the time, that the cruelty that these poor horses endure was unbearable to watch.

Storm Cadet
03-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Belmont Park is one of THE most grand, most beautiful racecourses in the country. When one sits up high and looks outward at its vastness, then turns to the paddock with its trees and ivy covered brick to welcome you, there's no prettier place anywhere.

Agree, can't wait for the BIG A to close and move racing to the Yankee Stadium of racing!;)

Grab a table in the sun by the paddock, bring a cooler and your set!
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3982/2299/400/final.jpg

Grits
04-09-2007, 02:10 PM
StormyC, have you left for Keeneland yet???????????

That plate of food above me looks mighty good.

Storm Cadet
04-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Grits,

I leave early Friday morning for the FRI-SAT & Sun cards.

I CAN'T WAIT!:D

Grits
04-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Grits,

I may get a wild hair . . . if I do, I'll pm you. We'll watch some racing.

BillW
04-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Grits,

You should've taken the whole week off! :D Just got in last night, spent the morning at the Thoroughbred Training Center, tomorrow - Tim Conway at the Horse Park and the rest of the week, of course at the track!

Storm Cadet
04-09-2007, 07:04 PM
You should've taken the whole week off! :D Just got in last night, spent the morning at the Thoroughbred Training Center, tomorrow - Tim Conway at the Horse Park and the rest of the week, of course at the track!

Damn Bill, I can't take the WHOLE week off...well maybe my Head Coach thinks I do during racing season now that hoops is over with :eek: , but seriously, hit some longshots, meet some filly's, and see what reservations look like at MALONES for the 1st night. Might not have the $$$ to go there past Friday the way I played Keeneland this weekend.

Also, ask if NYRA credentials work down there for parking. They probably want all of our Yankee money!

Grits
04-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Damn Bill, I can't take the WHOLE week off...well maybe my Head Coach thinks I do during racing season now that hoops is over with :eek: , but seriously, hit some longshots, meet some filly's, and see what reservations look like at MALONES for the 1st night. Might not have the $$$ to go there past Friday the way I played Keeneland this weekend.

Also, ask if NYRA credentials work down there for parking. They probably want all of our Yankee money!

BillW, there's plenty of free parking unless you want to pay valet Clubhouse parking. Horseman's parking is a pretty small area including only a few rows.

And StormyC make your reservations for Malone's days ahead, earlier in the week. If you can't get in, Tony Roma's steaks and ribs at Lexington Green are a good substitute. Plus, the Marriot at Griffin Gate is EXCELLENT.

BillW
04-09-2007, 07:50 PM

I don't know about NYRA credentials, but I was told that a Yankee Junior All-Star Club card will get you free parking :p. I'll check out Malones tomorrow.

BW

Storm Cadet
04-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Don't start with the YANKEE jokes! Have you seen where your ASTROS are lately since you've been on the road? Here's a reminder:

CENTRAL W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA STRK L10
Cincinnati 4 2 .667 - 4-2 0-0 27 19 Lost 1 4-2
Pittsburgh 4 3 .571 .5 0-1 4-2 24 27 Lost 1 4-3
Milwaukee 3 3 .500 1 3-3 0-0 30 28 Won 1 3-3
St. Louis 3 4 .429 1.5 0-3 3-1 20 28 Won 2 3-4
Chicago Cubs 3 4 .429 1.5 0-1 3-3 29 31 Lost 2 3-4
Houston 2 5 .286 2.5 1-5 1-0 21 30 Won 1 2-5

:eek:

BillW
04-09-2007, 08:42 PM
They ain't my Astros - I'm from Pittsburgh :D BTW you've got mail :p

Don't start with the YANKEE jokes! Have you seen where your ASTROS are lately since you've been on the road? Here's a reminder:

CENTRAL W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA STRK L10
Cincinnati 4 2 .667 - 4-2 0-0 27 19 Lost 1 4-2
Pittsburgh 4 3 .571 .5 0-1 4-2 24 27 Lost 1 4-3
Milwaukee 3 3 .500 1 3-3 0-0 30 28 Won 1 3-3
St. Louis 3 4 .429 1.5 0-3 3-1 20 28 Won 2 3-4
Chicago Cubs 3 4 .429 1.5 0-1 3-3 29 31 Lost 2 3-4
Houston 2 5 .286 2.5 1-5 1-0 21 30 Won 1 2-5

:eek:

Grits
04-10-2007, 02:35 PM
See you Thursday StormyC. and Rootdog as well, I hope.

Maybe we'll have better weather than it looks to be on Wednesday. I hope so anyway.

Storm Cadet
04-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Great I'll PM you my cell tonight...call me when you get to the track!:cool: I get there on Friday AM.

Mortimer
04-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Sent ya all an e-mail.

Grits
04-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Sent ya all an e-mail.

I must have missed it.

Come join us in Lexington. I was going to drive today, but its raining from here in Carolina all the way to Kentucky. So, for that, no thanks. It makes for a long 10 hour drive. Changed my reservations, and will leave tomorrow morning.

Wish you would join us. . .