PDA

View Full Version : Is Brother Derek done racing

Secretariat
05-30-2006, 04:24 PM
not to step on any toes here because i know ATRAB is the PR arm of the horse, but ???

he has earned 1.3 million dollars,
uses glue on shoes,
and won't reture till the travers.
he won't ship out east again and loose more, will he ?

from thoroughbred times:

Brother Derek to undergo precautionary tests

Santa Anita Derby (G1) winner Brother Derek will receive a break in training after running in the first two legs of the Triple Crown and will undergo a series of tests next week to determine when he should resume running.

"He's doing really good," said trainer Dan Hendricks on Friday afternoon. "We're going to freshen him for a certain amount of time, whether it's two weeks or two months. We want to nuclear scan him because you never know if there's anything underlying that isn't showing up. It's just a precautionary measure."

Cecil Peacock's Brother Derek finished fourth in the Kentucky Derby (G1) and the Preakness Stakes (G1). He has won six of ten career starts and earned $1,302,080.

The $400,000 Swaps Breeders' Cup Stakes (G2) at Hollywood Park on July 8 would be Brother Derek's earliest return, but Hendricks said that race will probably come up too soon.

"After that is Del Mar, but that's older horses and two-year-olds, so we may have to look at the Haskell Invitational Handicap (G1) [on August 6] or the Travers [Stakes (G1) on August 26] Hendricks said. "His long term goal is to stay with three-year-olds."

Hendricks said Brother Derek scratched his nose on the starting gate when he reacted to Barbaro's false start in the Preakness.

"He scratched his nose on the gate when Barbaro busted through, but really that's the worst of it," Hendricks said. "The Triple Crown is grueling, but he's held his weight really well. We feel he was a pretty fresh horse going in."—Pete Denk

sounds to me like they are looking for a reason to say lets send him to the shed, we have seen these articles before, where they think something might be wrong,
it a prelude to saying, hs will retire soon.

Hoisttheflag
05-30-2006, 04:32 PM
They should just leave him out West for good. He stands zero chance in the Travers. He would never have won the Derby or the Preakness. He ran into two superior horses that were on their A game. BD is much like a SNS, really good but just a notch below the top guys. Needs too many things to go his way to win.

packerbacker7964
05-30-2006, 07:01 PM
We'll see what he's up against in the Belmont with the Baffert horse's. After that it'll tell what to do with Bo Derek. I'd leave him out West until someone steps up thier game. Lot's of money to be made out there. I think First Sam could do well out there also. Speed favoring tracks and small fields.

Suffolk Shippers
05-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Brother Derek is like the Drew Bledsoe of horse racing. He needs conditions to be perfect around him to win, he doesnt have it to win on his own.

randallscott35
05-30-2006, 07:30 PM
They should just leave him out West for good. He stands zero chance in the Travers. He would never have won the Derby or the Preakness. He ran into two superior horses that were on their A game. BD is much like a SNS, really good but just a notch below the top guys. Needs too many things to go his way to win.

SNS will win multiple Grade 1s before he is retired. Watch.

Scav
05-30-2006, 07:38 PM
I agree here about SNS, he needs to be managed right....We will see what how good of a manager he is because he should be skipping the Belmont to get ready for some of the big summer races. SNS had to do alot the last 6 months, needs a 2 month break IMO

Hoisttheflag
05-30-2006, 07:47 PM
SNS will win multiple Grade 1s before he is retired. Watch.

Probably because he is a gelding and will hang around. I rate him as my #3 3yr old right now.

hockey2315
05-30-2006, 10:16 PM
i don't think SNS will last that long because his pedigree isn't that great. . . he's simply not bred as well as most other horses at that level. . . he's going to fall apart at some point. . . if he ran in the belmont we would never hear of him again

Hoisttheflag
05-31-2006, 09:17 AM
i don't think SNS will last that long because his pedigree isn't that great. . . he's simply not bred as well as most other horses at that level. . . he's going to fall apart at some point. . . if he ran in the belmont we would never hear of him again

His pedigree is actually quite good. SSS was very talented but fragile. You have to remember that Saint Ballado also made his reputation at Ocala Stud and Sweetsouthernsaint appears to be on his way. His female line is also quite good. He gets quite a bit of stamina from Waquoit's daughter Ice Beauty.

If SNS were to run in the Belmont, which I have heard he might just do, I think he would be the horse to beat.

Cajungator26
05-31-2006, 10:49 AM
His pedigree is actually quite good. SSS was very talented but fragile. You have to remember that Saint Ballado also made his reputation at Ocala Stud and Sweetsouthernsaint appears to be on his way. His female line is also quite good. He gets quite a bit of stamina from Waquoit's daughter Ice Beauty.

If SNS were to run in the Belmont, which I have heard he might just do, I think he would be the horse to beat.

He's definitely consistent, but I hope that they rest him. He tore some of his hoof wall off during the preakness and I would imagine that made him pretty ouchy for a while.

Secretariat
05-31-2006, 10:52 AM
i think Steve, who is quite the friend of Trombettas,
was with both Trombetta and SNS in the saddling paddock for the KD, said without question that SNS is out of the belmont.