05-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Haven't heard from him in a while... new girl maybe? :p

Scav
05-30-2006, 03:26 PM
lol

who knows, probably busy, this is his nutty time of the year

oracle80
05-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Talked to him this morning. he met a chick and hes been busy. Today hes in Va seeing a neurosurgeon for his back and neck. He will return.

Secretariat
05-30-2006, 03:53 PM
did you send something to gander ??

disappearingdan_akaplaya
05-30-2006, 03:58 PM
lol yeah a girl will do it to ya, hopefully hes doing aight

oracle80
05-30-2006, 04:01 PM
did you send something to gander ??
Hes on horse vacation. When he returns, he will be here.

Secretariat
05-30-2006, 04:05 PM
horse vacation,

sounds like a wife mandated decree.
its funny becasue his last posts he was takin the over and under bet on his trips to the cash machine derby day,

the over must have won.

oracle80
05-30-2006, 04:06 PM
horse vacation,

its funny becasue his last posts he was takin the over and under bet on his trips to the cash machine derby day,

the over must have won.
LOL!!! Are you sure you havent spoken to gander? LOL!!!

2MinsToPost
05-30-2006, 05:26 PM
horse vacation,

the over must have won.

I remember reading that, that's to funny cause he has been missing in action ever since. I greatly enjoy reading his insight and look forward to his return

GPK
05-31-2006, 07:25 AM
Hey ya'll...I'm here. Just returned from VA a couple of hours ago. I had a meeting with a neurosurgeon up there yesterday. Not very good news to say the least. He wants to do surgery on my back ASAP (microdiscectomy). He wasn't really concerned about the pain in my left leg or numbness in my right toes, but he said the extreme lack of strength in my feet and toes gives him cause for great concern. He also said that I will be laid up for a MINIMUM of 1 month and possibly 6 weeks. I am going into work in a few minutes to discuss all of this with my owners. No way I can I miss work in this busy time of the year. I am hoping to convince the doctor to push the surgery back until maybe Nov. of this year. Thanks for the concern, but obviously my life has taken on a completely different set of priorities at the moment. I miss being here talking about the sport we all love.

hoovesupsideyourhead
05-31-2006, 07:59 AM
Hey ya'll...I'm here. Just returned from VA a couple of hours ago. I had a meeting with a neurosurgeon up there yesterday. Not very good news to say the least. He wants to do surgery on my back ASAP (microdiscectomy). He wasn't really concerned about the pain in my left leg or numbness in my right toes, but he said the extreme lack of strength in my feet and toes gives him cause for great concern. He also said that I will be laid up for a MINIMUM of 1 month and possibly 6 weeks. I am going into work in a few minutes to discuss all of this with my owners. No way I can I miss work in this busy time of the year. I am hoping to convince the doctor to push the surgery back until maybe Nov. of this year. Thanks for the concern, but obviously my life has taken on a completely different set of priorities at the moment. I miss being here talking about the sport we all love.
glad.to hear your ok...shoot ....me a line.....

Cajungator26
05-31-2006, 08:10 AM

I'm sorry, Kev. :( I know that work is important, but your health is way more important... please take care of yourself. *hugs*

J

slotdirt
05-31-2006, 08:10 AM

As long as there's no numbness in your little GPK, I think you'll be fine, man.

I hope this doesn't mean you're out for VA Derby day?

GPK
05-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the kind words and support ya'll. I just have to figure out when is gonna be best for me to have the procedure done. As I said prior, I just can't afford to be off 4-6 weeks in the summer time, especially after the stupid **** I pulled last summer and was laid up for a while during peak season. I talked to 2 of my owners and neither of them had a problem with me being gone 4-6 weeks in the Nov.-Dec. months.

The doctor is just gonna have to live with that decision, but it is a risk I am willing to take.

slotdirt
05-31-2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the kind words and support ya'll. I just have to figure out when is gonna be best for me to have the procedure done. As I said prior, I just can't afford to be off 4-6 weeks in the summer time, especially after the stupid **** I pulled last summer and was laid up for a while during peak season. I talked to 2 of my owners and neither of them had a problem with me being gone 4-6 weeks in the Nov.-Dec. months.

The doctor is just gonna have to live with that decision, but it is a risk I am willing to take.
Kind words? I had no kind words - don't lump me in with the rest of these "nice" folks.

Since you're delaying until November, we'll be seeing you at Colonial...

GPK
05-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Kind words? I had no kind words - don't lump me in with the rest of these "nice" folks.

Since you're delaying until November, we'll be seeing you at Colonial...

I'm hoping so John. The only definite day for me right now is the handicapping contest on July 8th. I know we have our club championship on the 15th of July (VA Derby Day) and I will have to do some serious reworking of the schedule to get there. If unable to make that day, we will meet up another day no doubt.

chromer
05-31-2006, 10:29 AM
GPK:

How old are you? The younger you are the more I would want a 2nd opinion on the need for surgery. Back surgeries have a high success rate the first time but if the problem recurs 25-30 years down the line (which they can if this is a degenerative issue) you are in a world of hurt.

No knock on your neuro who I'm sure is a fine doctor but he makes his nut doing surgeries. If you are in your 30's or younger get another opinion.

I assume from your post you have not taken any significant time off from swinging clubs to rest the back? You must have done the PT thing already if they are already recommending surgery. No joke but these things can clear up by themselves with time and w/o surgery in some cases. Bedrest and back strengthening exercises.

How large is the disc bulge? L5-S1 or another level?

GPK
05-31-2006, 11:02 AM
GPK:

How old are you? The younger you are the more I would want a 2nd opinion on the need for surgery. Back surgeries have a high success rate the first time but if the problem recurs 25-30 years down the line (which they can if this is a degenerative issue) you are in a world of hurt.

No knock on your neuro who I'm sure is a fine doctor but he makes his nut doing surgeries. If you are in your 30's or younger get another opinion.

I assume from your post you have not taken any significant time off from swinging clubs to rest the back? You must have done the PT thing already if they are already recommending surgery. No joke but these things can clear up by themselves with time and w/o surgery in some cases. Bedrest and back strengthening exercises.

How large is the disc bulge? L5-S1 or another level?

Chromer, I will be 34 at the end of this year. I have taken significant time from golf. I played 2 times in all of 2005 and MAYBE 5 times this year. I had an MRI done 3 weeks ago and was able to see the results of that yesterday. The L5 disk is basically shot. The jelly like fluid that is found in the disks has leaked out of that disk and is resting on my spine and the nerves of my spine. If it was something other than that, I could see not having surgery, but its clear from looking at the xray that the fluid needs to be removed from around my spine.

chromer
05-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Good Luck then.

A ruptured disc is no fun. The surgery will do the trick. Once they have removed the material impinging on your nerves you'll feel a lot better.

Just understand that as we age discs continue to degenerate. You'll have a lot less material seperating your L5 (bottom of the lumbar spine) from your S1 (top of the sacral spine).

Surgery at your age should really be the last option. Sounds like that is unfortunatly the case. Like I said though, it'll do the trick.