PDA

View Full Version : Wood Memorial - Sumwon Partners

pmacdaddy
03-09-2007, 09:05 AM
We have a group of guys who have made the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct a bit of a tradition. There will be 4 Sumwon Partners in our group and it sounds like there will be at least a few other Sumwon folks there as well.

Could be a good opportunity for some on the NY people involved in the Partnership to meet up. Of course we would also be happy to share a cocktail with anyone from the site, not just the Partnership.

We have a reservation in the Resteraunt, I think it is $50pp which includes seating and buffet. However, we can pick any good spot and time to meet up that day. Maybe one of the bars there. Is it called The Man 'O War Room?

Looking forward to it.

Pat

Sightseek
03-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Sniper and I will be there any time any place works for us. :) It would be great to meet fellow partners!

Looks like the day should draw some fairly decent horses too.

SniperSB23
03-09-2007, 10:35 AM
We have a group of guys who have made the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct a bit of a tradition. There will be 4 Sumwon Partners in our group and it sounds like there will be at least a few other Sumwon folks there as well.

Could be a good opportunity for some on the NY people involved in the Partnership to meet up. Of course we would also be happy to share a cocktail with anyone from the site, not just the Partnership.

We have a reservation in the Resteraunt, I think it is $50pp which includes seating and buffet. However, we can pick any good spot and time to meet up that day. Maybe one of the bars there. Is it called The Man 'O War Room?

Looking forward to it.

Pat

Yup, we'll be there. I think we are just going general admission. We like to stay mobile and watch the races from the rail (yes, even in the sleet last year we were out there). So as long as people are meeting somewhere we can get to with general admission then we'll be there to meet up.

Sightseek
03-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Yup, we'll be there. I think we are just going general admission. We like to stay mobile and watch the races from the rail (yes, even in the sleet last year we were out there). So as long as people are meeting somewhere we can get to with general admission then we'll be there to meet up.

The things you do for Sir Greeley.... :p

SniperSB23
03-09-2007, 10:41 AM
The things you do for Sir Greeley.... :p

That stupid Pletcher rabbit had to go and ruin everything. :mad:

blackthroatedwind
03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm should be in Equestris that day.

Sightseek
03-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Swap Fliparoo & Philski will be there with sniper & I as well! :)

Storm Cadet
03-18-2007, 02:38 PM
I'll be there as hoops season is over! :)

Wood Memorial on the 7th then off to Keeneland for the Toyota Bluegrass:D

Can two race tracks be more different-Big A and Keeneland?

Grits
03-19-2007, 12:46 PM
I'll be there as hoops season is over! :)

Wood Memorial on the 7th then off to Keeneland for the Toyota Bluegrass:D

Can two race tracks be more different-Big A and Keeneland?

For many years I've stepped inside, in front of the TVs at Keeneland, while live racing is on there to watch the Wood going off from NY.

randallscott35
03-19-2007, 12:52 PM

Get us a table with a good view please.

Storm Cadet
03-19-2007, 05:52 PM

Is MANNY the maitre D still around? He won the suit did he not against NYRA?
:confused:

pointman
03-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Ah, Manny, you are just a few bucks from a table on the wire, reservation or not.

pmacdaddy
03-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Looks like there are four Graded Stakes on Wood Day (Excelsior BC, Wood Memorial, Bayshore and Carter).

Hopefully, the weather cooperates better than last year.

Grits
04-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Thinking of possibly driving up . . . I just looked at the 10 day weather forecast for NY.

Folks, there's only going to be a 45 degree high on Saturday and with any wind blowing off that bay that's mighty chilly.

Gotta think a bit on this one, having not bothered with early reservations and such.

44 is COLD with wind.

Cajungator26
04-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Thinking of possibly driving up . . . I just looked at the 10 day weather forecast for NY.

Folks, there's only going to be a 45 degree high on Saturday and with any wind blowing off that bay that's mighty chilly.

Gotta think a bit on this one, having not bothered with early reservations and such.

44 is COLD with wind.

For us girls raised in the south, it's cold even without the wind! Have fun, dg! :cool:

Storm Cadet
04-02-2007, 11:38 AM

44 is COLD with wind.

C'Mon girl...pack a jacket and hat...and watch the Big A races and Keeneland. I'll go early and get a table in the Man 'O War room if your coming. I'd like to meet up with all the other DT'ers attending.

SC:)

Grits
04-02-2007, 12:01 PM
C'Mon girl...pack a jacket and hat...and watch the Big A races and Keeneland. I'll go early and get a table in the Man 'O War room if your coming. I'd like to meet up with all the other DT'ers attending.

SC:)

SC,

I'd think if one doesn't have dining reservations by now, that would be iffy.

I'll work on a hotel first. One that will accept my little dog.

And you're right, I can handle the cold, that's not a problem.

The problem is finding something not horribly far from Aqueduct, but SAFE, if you know what I'm saying.

When I stay on Long Island I don't have to worry, but near Jamaica and Ozone Park . . . whole 'nuther matter.

Sightseek
04-02-2007, 12:18 PM

44 is COLD with wind.

This is a blessing compared to the sleet and less than 30 degree temps sniper and I endured last year. We were the only people outside to look at the horses. :D

Storm Cadet
04-02-2007, 02:02 PM
SC,

I'd think if one doesn't have dining reservations by now, that would be iffy.

I'll work on a hotel first. One that will accept my little dog.

And you're right, I can handle the cold, that's not a problem.

The problem is finding something not horribly far from Aqueduct, but SAFE, if you know what I'm saying.

When I stay on Long Island I don't have to worry, but near Jamaica and Ozone Park . . . whole 'nuther matter.

The Man O War room is public no admission...1st come 1st serve. If you get there early enough, you can snag tables. Just like Saratoga outside.

Hotels: Now thats a different story....we (St Johns) have some local hotels, but I'm not sure about pets!

Let me know.

pmacdaddy
04-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Thw Wood Memorial is approaching quickly.

Between this, Sumwon's first start for us and the prospect of a NY Bred Partnership, it is safe to say I'm getting fired up.

Any suggestions on where/when we should get together at the Wood. Based on weather forecast, I am thinking we should shoot for indoors.

I would suggest Man 'O War Room. Maybe 1/2 hour before first Post, or between two of the earlier races.

What do you think?

Grits
04-02-2007, 02:18 PM
The Man O War room is public no admission...1st come 1st serve. If you get there early enough, you can snag tables. Just like Saratoga outside.

Hotels: Now thats a different story....we (St Johns) have some local hotels, but I'm not sure about pets!

Let me know.

SC, I'll let you know something by later this evening, see what I can work out.

Sightseek
04-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Thw Wood Memorial is approaching quickly.

Between this, Sumwon's first start for us and the prospect of a NY Bred Partnership, it is safe to say I'm getting fired up.

Any suggestions on where/when we should get together at the Wood. Based on weather forecast, I am thinking we should shoot for indoors.

I would suggest Man 'O War Room. Maybe 1/2 hour before first Post, or between two of the earlier races.

What do you think?

We're driving down from Albany so I'm not sure if we will make it there in time for first post...between two of the earlier races would probably be easiest.

pmacdaddy
04-02-2007, 06:41 PM
No offense pointman, but my Brother-In-Law is also a bit of a late sleeper, so that's probably a good idea anyway.

So, in between races it is...

Storm Cadet
04-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Wow, forecast for saturday is 30's to 40's. This won't be fun at the Big A for sure. :(

pointman
04-03-2007, 08:39 AM
No offense pointman, but my Brother-In-Law is also a bit of a late sleeper, so that's probably a good idea anyway.

So, in between races it is...

When do I ever get there late? Just the last time we went to the track, the Wood the last two years, BC day, . . . alright you have a point, I will try to be on time Sat!

Sightseek
04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know the time of the second race?

pmacdaddy
04-04-2007, 12:07 PM
First post is 1PM, so I would assume around 1:30.

Sightseek
04-04-2007, 12:10 PM
First post is 1PM, so I would assume around 1:30.

Thanks! :) Any idea which two races you'd want to meet up between? (1st & 2nd or 2nd & 3rd?)

I wish this awful weather that came in overnight would somehow miraculously move out but I don't think we'll be so lucky.

pmacdaddy
04-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Want to say after the 3rd race, 2PM or so?

Late enough for folks in Equestris to hit the buffet and maybe still before some of the Crowd.

If anyone wants to do later, that is certainly fine as well.

Sightseek
04-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Want to say after the 3rd race, 2PM or so?

Late enough for folks in Equestris to hit the buffet and maybe still before some of the Crowd.

If anyone wants to do later, that is certainly fine as well.

Sounds good to me!

Storm Cadet
04-05-2007, 06:04 AM
Un-f-ing believable: Possible lows in the 20's. I'm staying home or heading to the Race Palace on Long Island to watch the races now.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-liweat0405,0,3877154.story?coll=ny-li-bigpix

Cajungator26
04-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Ugh... I couldn't handle that weather. (Well, I COULD, but still.) For those of you that are going... bundle up! :eek:

pointman
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
The forecast for Saturday is not that bad, high of 46 and cloudy. Anyway, just do what I will do, stay inside. It isn't like Aqueduct will be overflowing with people.

southerndutch
04-05-2007, 12:34 PM
So, 2:00 in the Man o War room. I'll be there with CU Lion. We'll be freezing our butts off in a NYRA box.

Sightseek
04-05-2007, 09:40 PM
stupid question, but....how will we know who each other are?

paisjpq
04-05-2007, 09:42 PM
ooooh you guys need a cheesy signal...a yellow carnation or purple shoelaces...how fun:D

Hickory Hill Hoff
04-05-2007, 09:47 PM

Gold Star for that question! :)

Sightseek
04-05-2007, 09:49 PM
ooooh you guys need a cheesy signal...a yellow carnation or purple shoelaces...how fun:D

:D

Cajungator26
04-06-2007, 10:09 AM

You guys will be easy to spot... the good looking young couple. :D

pointman
04-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I will be the guy with the racing form.

Sightseek
04-06-2007, 10:43 AM
You guys will be easy to spot... the good looking young couple. :D

LOL, you're too kind but it's pretty hard to look good when you're freezing your butt off, but Miss Florida wouldn't know how that feels! :p

pmacdaddy
04-06-2007, 12:18 PM
I will be the guy drinking beer...

Unfortunately,Wife and kids are feeling under the weather. However, I am still hopeful for tomorrow.

Rest of the crew will be there regardless. Pointman will be breaking my chops if I miss it, so I will be trying hard to get there.

pmacdaddy
04-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Looks like we have a few extra spots at our table in the resteraunt if anyone is interested in joining us Sat. Think it works out to about $50pp for table, buffet and gratuity. Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested and I will give you the info.

Otherwise, I am going to call up and change the number in our party.

Thanks,

Pat

Storm Cadet
04-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm going and I'll try to meet DT crew in Man O War room. I'm floating between MOW room and Equistris Terrace TV area.

Pray for NO SNOW! Gator send us some SUN!:D

Cajungator26
04-06-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm going and I'll try to meet DT crew in Man O War room. I'm floating between MOW room and Equistris Terrace TV area.

Pray for NO SNOW! Gator send us some SUN!:D

Wish I could... it's hot down here.

Storm Cadet
04-06-2007, 06:01 PM
GRITS...you making it to the Big A on Saturday? and if you are PM me if you need a lift to AQU for the races:)

Grits
04-06-2007, 06:52 PM
GRITS...you making it to the Big A on Saturday? and if you are PM me if you need a lift to AQU for the races:)

SC, too much family doings going on for Easter Sunday, dinner with parents, etc, etc. We will do it again, maybe Belmont, or before! Often, I go up several days before the Belmont, and stay through the weekend.

Storm Cadet
04-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Sounds good...looking forward to it (and the warmer weather):D

Grits
04-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Sounds good...looking forward to it (and the warmer weather):D

As well. And the warmer weather will be nice.

pointman
04-06-2007, 09:21 PM
I was just kidding before, of course. Would like to meet any of the Sumwon crew, we will have to find a way to ID one another. If anyone has a good idea, because I don't, please post.

pmacdaddy
04-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Unfortunately, looks like I'm out for today (woke up sick as a dog). Bummed...

Anyway, I think if you guys just gather outside the Man 'O War enterance at 2PM, you should be able to spot each other standing around.

Another Sumwon partner John D. will be in Man 'O War for the day. He knows Pointman (Nick) and will look out for him at 2PM. John is pretty easy to spot as he is exactly the size of a typical Jockey (sorry John).

Wish I could have made it, catch you all next time... Maybe Wed at OTB for the Sumwon start (if she gets in).

Have Fun,

Pat