PDA

View Full Version : Spring Keeneland Trip

Storm Cadet
02-24-2007, 05:46 PM
I'll be heading down to Keeneland Race Course for the Toyota Bluegrass Stakes weekend with members of the PaceAdvantage board and hopefully some from the PaceFigures board. The dates are April 13-15th.

Any and all from DT are welcome to meet up down there for a good time. :D

Ron

Cannon Shell
02-28-2007, 09:48 PM
I'll be there and I'm gonna make Hooves come up too.(bribe)

Storm Cadet
03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I'll PM you when we get to town..maybe we can meet up and have a cold one (or two);)

paisjpq
03-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I'll be there and I'm gonna make Hooves come up too.(bribe)

chuck if you are in town on the 10th make sure you go to the charity team penning....a friend of mine is riding in it...should be fun.

Cannon Shell
03-01-2007, 12:49 PM
chuck if you are in town on the 10th make sure you go to the charity team penning....a friend of mine is riding in it...should be fun.
Where is it going to be held?

paisjpq
03-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Where is it going to be held?
the indoor arena at the horse park...it's for the disabled jockey's fund...they pair a jockey up with two riders and they have to sort cows while Tim conway makes fun of them...

Cannon Shell
03-01-2007, 05:01 PM
the indoor arena at the horse park...it's for the disabled jockey's fund...they pair a jockey up with two riders and they have to sort cows while Tim conway makes fun of them...
Sound like fun

hoovesupsideyourhead
03-01-2007, 06:15 PM
i will try to make it...fo sho...go uk

Pointg5
03-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Good chance I'll be there, but I refuse to bet any poly races and will probably bring my cell phone to bet using my brisbet account...

Cannon Shell
03-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Good chance I'll be there, but I refuse to bet any poly races and will probably bring my cell phone to bet using my brisbet account...
You will bet when hooves gives you some of his $70 specials!!

GPK
03-02-2007, 09:44 PM

I got one of those one time Chuck:D

is Mix in training? I know you said possibly Keenland

Pointg5
03-02-2007, 09:44 PM

As long as they are at AQ and Oaklawn...

I'll be in the Sports Bar, when it gets, closer bump this thread....

Cannon Shell
03-03-2007, 12:10 AM
I got one of those one time Chuck:D

is Mix in training? I know you said possibly Keenland
April 6th. He is working tommorrow at FG.

dellinger63
03-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Wow if Hooves is going, I'll be there!!!

Supah Brother
03-04-2007, 09:02 PM
My girlfriend and I are planning on going to Keeneland for opening weekend. Any suggestions on where to stay?

paisjpq
03-05-2007, 06:08 AM
My girlfriend and I are planning on going to Keeneland for opening weekend. Any suggestions on where to stay?
there are no hotels super close to Keeneland as I'm sure you have noticed...probably the closest is the Fairfield Inn off Harrodsburg rd. (it's in a plaza with a couple of chain restaurants and the 'liqour barn') But it depends what else you are doing while you are there...if you want to go to the horse park etc, there are a bunch of hotels in that direction...

phystech
03-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Last year I stayed at The Springs Inn. Link is http://www.springsinn.com/

Nothing fancy, just a $72 room. Easy access to Man O' War Blvd which takes you in the front gate at Keeneland. Best part was they had a nice restaurant and a good bar. Gotta have a good bar at the hotel so you can crawl back to the room if you have too..... :)

Supah Brother
03-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the info. Couple more things should I reserve seats at Keeneland, is it worth it, what area restaurants would everyone suggest?

Storm Cadet
03-05-2007, 12:35 PM
We're staying at the Holiday Inn Express South-Nicholsville. Only about 10 minutes from Keeneland. My group stayed there last year...don't know if it made them smarter handicappers;)

Sightseek
03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the info. Couple more things should I reserve seats at Keeneland, is it worth it, what area restaurants would everyone suggest?

I'd definitely reserve seats if they are available, the track is CROWDED!

Malone's & Oscar's (the piano bar next door) are very nice:
http://www.malonesrestaurant.com/oscars.html

The Atomic Cafe has great food and if the weather is warm, an outdoor patio that is great.

paisjpq
03-05-2007, 12:51 PM
I second the reserved seats although I never do...

Railheads restaurant in versailles is surprisingly good for the area.

Storm Cadet
03-06-2007, 01:33 AM
I went on the Keeneland site and all the reserve seats are sold out for Toyota Bluegrass weekend. :(

paisjpq
03-06-2007, 05:19 AM
I went on the Keeneland site and all the reserve seats are sold out for Toyota Bluegrass weekend. :(
it's like saratoga...the track is not that big and everyone wants to be there.

Grits
03-06-2007, 09:48 AM

SB, if you have not already firmed up hotel reservations for Keeneland, you are getting in the very short rows especially for a weekend trip. The Spring meet is much busier and more attended than the Fall meet.

The hotels downtown will fill up first. The Raddison is downtown, the Hilton is at Lexington Green on Nicholosville Rd, those two book quickly. On Harrodsburg Road, which is the closest hotel area to Keeneland, you have the Comfort Inn and Suites, this is nice, its relatively new. Fairfield is there also, Applebees, and other restuarants in walking distance. The next exit up on Nicholosville Road, you have Red Roof Inn, Extended Stay America. Lots of barn employees stay at these.

The Springs Inn, closer downtown on Harrodsburg, is family owned, it is full usually, but it is not as clean as it should be. Carpeting is filthy. Also on Harrodsburg Rd there's the Campbell House Inn, which has just undergone a few million renovation.

Now, out towards I-75 south you have several hotels that are new at Hamburg Place. Several restaurants as well. These are much further from Keeneland.

Closer up on I-75 north at Newtown Pike, which exits off New Circle Road, which you take to Versailles Road which Keeneland is on, you have Marriott at Griffin Gate, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Express, and LaQuinta. All are fine, all vary in price range.

There are good restaurants all over town, the usual chains, and the locally owned spots.

Supah Brother
03-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks for all the info. I booked the four points Sheraton, not sure how far away we are but I really don’t mind driving and its fairly cheap. I also ordered tickets yesterday for the 6th,and 7th. Now all I need is a big win so I can go to Malone’s and get the wahgyu:D

Thanks again all, and if you have any other suggestions let me know.

Grits
03-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all the info. I booked the four points Sheraton, not sure how far away we are but I really don’t mind driving and its fairly cheap. I also ordered tickets yesterday for the 6th,and 7th. Now all I need is a big win so I can go to Malone’s and get the wahgyu:D

Thanks again all, and if you have any other suggestions let me know.

Four Points Sheraton is on Newtown Pike, at 64-W and I-75, its in the northern part of town that I spoke of. Closer than the southern edge of town. Leave the hotel, turn left on Newtown, go a couple of blocks to New Circle and take a right, it takes you straight to Versailles Road, Keeneland's exit. (When you get on V.Road. stay in the right lane, take either 1st or 2nd entrance to K'land.

Grits
03-09-2007, 11:51 AM
SB, here's another tidbit about Keeneland. A well kept secret (that will be no more.)

If you're there, with your girlfriend for several days for the races, and you're tired of dressing up each day, you can shuck that deal. When I get sick of it, I keep my jeans and topsiders on, drive into the track and go all the way back to the track kitchen. The tvs are on and wagering windows are open all afternoon.

I get a table, and I sit right there with the grooms and hotwalkers and the oldtimers that have known this always. Easy and comfortable. And there's plenty to eat.

After days and days, Keeneland and all its blueblood ambiance can grow weary. Real weary. Jeans are cool in the kitchen, when one can't wear 'em to live races.

Storm Cadet
03-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Grits,

Thats exactly what I do at Saratoga. Backstretch kitchen, betting windows, $2 beers and you can drive the SUV right next to starting gate...back it up to fencing and pack all the food you want all day!:D

SC

Grits
03-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Grits,

Thats exactly what I do at Saratoga. Backstretch kitchen, betting windows, $2 beers and you can drive the SUV right next to starting gate...back it up to fencing and pack all the food you want all day!:D

SC

I've never done it at Saratoga SC, but man, don't ya love it!!!!!

I take a Crown and water in with a couple of flight sizes in my pockets. I don't do beer unless eating boiled seafood and Keeneland doesn't serve drinks in the kitchen. LOL

hoovesupsideyourhead
03-09-2007, 04:21 PM
there are no hotels super close to Keeneland as I'm sure you have noticed...probably the closest is the Fairfield Inn off Harrodsburg rd. (it's in a plaza with a couple of chain restaurants and the 'liqour barn') But it depends what else you are doing while you are there...if you want to go to the horse park etc, there are a bunch of hotels in that direction...
just ask somwon to stop hogging the blanket and move over..cs has lots of hay....:D

paisjpq
03-09-2007, 05:17 PM
just ask somwon to stop hogging the blanket and move over..cs has lots of hay....:D
if it's ok w/ you I prefer a bed...but you can sleep in the barn

hoovesupsideyourhead
03-09-2007, 06:07 PM
if it's ok w/ you I prefer a bed...but you can sleep in the barn
:D :D :D thanks i know your just a "people person":D

GPK
03-09-2007, 06:14 PM
:D :D thanks i know your just a "people person":D

understatement of the year right there..:p

Riot
03-10-2007, 11:11 AM
The unbooked hotel secret during Kee is up in Georgetown just north of Lex (if you can't get a room at the Marriot, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn, LaQuinta at exit 115 and 922/Newtown) - easy to get on I-75 south, drive 5 minutes, get off at Newtown Pike and it's 15 minutes to the track (versus the serious traffic on the south side and Man O' War Blvd). Alot less traffic and easier access.

I'll be at the meet pretty much all days except Sat/Sun (have to work some time <g>) would love to meet up with Sumwon crew and other DTers.