PDA

View Full Version : Wet Track Handicapping Adjustments

wigmore
02-19-2007, 11:29 AM
I am at a total loss in handicapping for a wet track (or later, a muddy track).

I have friends who say choose the frontrunners, because they aren't getting water/mud kicked in their faces. Makes sense, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I have another friend who says I should key the horses who have already proven themselves on an off track. This strategy has resulted in limited success.

Should I limit my bets when I find myself at the track when it is raining or has recently rained? Or can someone give me a few clues in how to approach handicapping an off track?

TitanSooner
02-19-2007, 11:36 AM
When I handicap the mud, I generally limit my betting and try to look for longer prices. Nothing is worse than betting a grip load of money on a horse that looks much the best on paper and then watch him not handle the slop a lick.

I generally look at pedigree.. my personal favorite wet sires are Flying Paster and Seattle Slew.. Those aren't necessarily the best, but I've had a lot of success with some good prices that had those horses in their bloodline.. especially on the bottom side.

SCUDSBROTHER
02-19-2007, 12:14 PM
This depends a lot on exactly how much rain the track got.For instance,we didn't get that much rain in SoCal overnight.Yes,we got a little,but they probably sealed the track,and it will either play fast(and slightly favor the front,)or play fair.Never play much money on a track you aren't 100% sure of (how it is playing.)

SCUDSBROTHER
02-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Also,don't play if you're UNSTABLE.

wigmore
02-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Also,don't play if you're UNSTABLE.
I'm always Unstable.

Thanks for the tips. Off to Santa Anita now. I'm meeting friends (twice a year track-goers), so I'll go easy today.